Healthy Bodies; Healthy Spirits
West Virginia is #1 in a lot of things we don’t want to be #1 in:
- Nearly one in four of our fifth-graders already have high blood pressure, according to West Virginia University measurement of thousands of schoolchildren.
- One in six kindergartners comes to school already obese, putting them at high risk of future diabetes and heart disease.
- Low-income people are much more likely to develop Type 2 diabetes, heart disease and others.
- The Center for Disease Control predicts that our chronic disease rate will double by 2050 if nothing changes.
The key, of course, is if nothing changes. And the good news is: we can change! Individuals can make progress towards healthier lifestyles, but communities can do even more – together. People of faith know this, and so the Healthy Bodies Healthy Spirits network was born!
Click here to join the “HBHS” community. Together, we can accomplish so much! By signing up, you are asking to be connected with other West Virginians of faith who are working towards creating healthier churches and communities. You can get ideas and how-to information from other churches. And you can help other congregations by sharing YOUR good ideas!
- Healthy eating
- Disease prevention
- Caring for our spirits at the same time as we care for our bodies!
Thank you for joining hands with us as we embark on this exciting adventure!